Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Books, Unschooling, & Family



I love books. I love visiting the library and checking out as many as I can carry, loading up my backpack and my arms to overflowing. If I had a lot of money I would buy books constantly (but the library saves me a fortune). I've bought many from used book stores and yard/garage sales, I love a good bargain =)

Anyway, now you know about my obsession with books. Favorites? I can't say as there are so many I haven't read yet. A lot of people get into critiquing authors but I just like to enjoy the stories. I haven't read too many I didn't like, it all depends on my mood and stage of life to decide what sounds good at any given time. I love learning new things, all the time. I'm an information junkie and so is Kirk, so are the kids. When Kyle was born we constantly brought home as many books as we could and read and read and read to him, he would sit in our laps for hours. Noelle didn't do this early on but grew to love books as much as the rest of us.

Imagine our joy with the internet! Whatever new interest (book) we are into gets an even bigger information explosion there. The most recent gold nugget that Noelle and I are enjoying is on butterflies. We found this site and will explore it for the next couple of days I'm sure.

I love unschooling! Instead of being slaves to someone else's opinion on what should be learned when, we are free to explore, learn, and grow in our own way.

I so enjoy having the kids at home with me. When people find out we homeschool (I really don't like that word but it beats explaining what we really do) I am amazed at how many of them say, "I think what your doing is great but I could never do that." After a little more conversation it usually comes down to not really wanting to be home with their kids all day. That is so sad. Why have a family if you can't wait to get away from each other? They are missing out on so much joy with their kids. Society has twisted what God intended for good -- families.

We love being together so much the kids have asked if they can live at home and do college online. You bet they can! I hope that we will always live close by us. But if they don't, Kirk and I have already told them that we will move and follow them =D

Photobucket

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of life schooling! I believe there are so many ways to learn beyond textbooks. Most of what I have learned in life was from experiencing it firsthand! It's wonderful to read about a mommy who loves being around her children as much as I do.

Much love and many blessings,
Erin. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm an absolute book junkie too. We all pretty much are in our family. Given we live in an RV right now, I have a scary number of book vs. the space available but that's ok. I could have worse habits I think. I enjoyed this whole post. =)
Krystal

Anonymous said...

April, should I admit this?

We moved here almost 3 years ago and I haven't gotten a library card, we haven't even gone.

Part of that was I kept my out of state license for 2 years and part was because of my wild man Jared.
I have asked the kids if they want to go and we just haven't actually got around to it.

We did go in PA, but not too often.
We just use the internet everytime we need to look something up.

I do buy books at yard sales and we have a lot of books. Probably not as many as you :)

I know it's sad when people can't wait until their kids go to school. I did not have kids to send them away for someone else to raise.

Anonymous said...

But I don't have a lot of books, that's why I like the library so much.

I developed a love of books in high school (couldn't stand school but having a book guaranteed escape to another world ;) Its where my love of history came from (dh just rolls his eyes because they were historic romance novels). The settings were so accurate they made me curious about what it would be like to live in another time.

I really like the internet, I just can't curl up with it under a blanket with a cup of coffee/tea. At least not unless I have a laptop and then I may never get up, lol.

Anonymous said...

We love library days and books as well! In fact, we just returned from the library!

Kandy

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

All Things Creekside Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez